Photo Credit: Family Circle
The weekend is fast approaching. What are your plans for your family? Will you spend your time together as a family, or will you all be running in different directions?
This weekend my family will be going in two different directions. My son is playing in a tennis tournament in a town about an hour away from where we live. My husband will be running in a 5k on Saturday morning.
We normally like to do things together, so it makes it hard when we have to split up. Fortunately, not too many weekends are like this. We usually have time to spend as a family.
If you are looking to spend quality time together as a family but don’t know what to do, here is a list of ideas to get you started:
1. Have a family night. Pick one night to spend time together playing games (board or video), watching a movie, or cooking your favorite meal. Let everyone have a voice in how you spend the evening.
2. Go on a hike. Explore trails and paths in your neighborhood or town. Talk about God’s awesome creation and spend some time praising Him for even the smallest details.
3. Be a tourist in your hometown. Visit the zoo, a local museum, or other attraction in your town. Spend some time learning more about the history of your town.
4. Volunteer together. Consider spending some time volunteering at your local food bank or homeless shelter. This is a great way to spend time together while teaching your kids the value of service. Your kids will also walk away with a greater appreciation for the material blessings they have.
5. Beautify your yard. Sometimes yard work is not fun. Doing it together as a family allows you to work toward a common goal while having fun in the process. Pick out new flowers to plant in your yard or in a container. Let your kids choose the colors of the flowers and teach them how to plant and care for the flowers.
What ideas do you have for families to spend time together?